So I had a pluot last night, which is a plum-apricot hybrid fruit. It was tasty, thanks for asking. And so it got me thinking, as any true blogger would: “my blog is long overdue for a post on hybrid fruit.” So, without further ado, here’s, uh, a list of hybrid fruit:
- Blackberry + Raspberry = Kotata berry/Loganberry/Tayberry
- Blackberry + Dewberry = Youngberry
- Loganberry (= Blackberry + Raspberry) + Dewberry = Boysenberry
- Loganberry (= Blackberry + Raspberry) + Youngberry (= Blackberry + Dewberry) = Olallieberry
- Peach + Apricot + Plum = Peacotum™ (seriously)
- Apricot + Plum = Plumcot
I should also tell you about Zaiger Genetics, "a Family Organized to Improve Fruit Worldwide" that has "achieved global prominence for their robust fruit and rootstock breeding program." They hold the trademark for pluots, apriums and peacotums, amongst others.
I sure am glad we had this little chat, aren’t you? What's that you say? Worst post ever? Sigh.
Labels: Food and Drink